Tuesday, July 22, 2014

OUT OF LINE BOX SET; Jen McLaughlin

out of line

 

OUT OF LINE BOX SET

As a reader I have read book one OUT OF LINE and book two OUT OF TIME, I have yet to get to book three, OUT OF MIND but am itching to get to it. I fell in love with the story of Carrie and Finn. Carrie is the daughter of a high profile politician. All she wants is to go to college and blend in with her peers. She doesn't want to use her family name to call attention to herself. She just wants to be a normal girl.

Daddy dearest has a different idea. Yes, she can go off to school and try to blend and not be recognized but the doesn't mean she's going across the country alone. Enter, our hot surfer boy that rides a badass motorcycle. The chemistry is amazing and they hit it off. The bad thing is; Finn has a secret that he can't tell Carrie about. He can loose the girl he just met if he comes clean with her and he can loose his job if his true feelings for Carrie are revealed. What will Finn do? 

OUT OF LINE - EXCERPT:

 I swallowed the guilt choking me back. I knew she was suspicious, and she had every reason to be wary of me. I was a fraud. A phony. A fake. And most of all? An asshole for kissing her under false pretenses. “Why are you so damn suspicious of everyone and everything?”

She didn’t follow me, but put her hands on her perfect hips. “I don’t know.”

“Why are you glowering at me like I drowned your kitten in front of you?”

“Because I thought we were friends.”

“We are.”

She lifted her chin up. “Friends don’t kiss friends then say shit. You

obviously don’t like me very much, so I’m going to make this easy for you. I’m leaving—and you’re staying.”

“No, you’re not.” I rubbed my eyes. Unbelievable. Instead of fixing this screw up, I’d managed to make it worse. “I’m your ride.”

She pulled out her phone and put it to her ear. “Yes. I’d like a cab, please. It’s an apartment building. Brick with patios and balconies. I’ll be outside.” She rattled off my address, an address I didn’t even know she’d be able to figure out, and then slid the phone back in her purse. “Problem solved. Now go away.”

She sat down on the curb, her back to me, and promptly ignored me. I hesitated. Should I do what she wanted and go inside to come up with a plan? Or should I try to fix this now? The urge to bang my head against the wall was almost as strong as the urge to pull her into my arms was. She looked so alone sitting there and staring out in the road. I approached her slowly, uncertain how to tackle this.

“Look, I’m sorry.” I sat beside her, my leg touching hers. She shot me a dirty look, but didn’t move away. “I didn’t mean to kiss you. Not because I don’t want to, but because I just want to be friends.”

“Then why did you kiss me?”

“Because I couldn’t stop myself,” I admitted. It was one of the most honest things I had said to her all day. “But I should have.”

She finally looked at me again. “Why can’t you kiss me? What’s so wrong with it? I mean, if you want to, why is it bad?”

Good question. “It just is. In my career, I could be gone at any second if they call up my unit. I can’t have relationships.”

 “That’s bull.” Her hands tightened on her knees. “If you don’t want to be with me, just say it. Don’t give me half-assed reasons why you can’t.”

“I don’t want to be with you,” I said, my voice coming out harsher than I intended. I reached out and closed my hand over hers, trying to soften the blow. “Not in that way, but I do want to be friends.”

“I’ll think about it.” The cab pulled up and she stood. Her hand on the door, she glanced at me over her shoulder. “But if you want to be friends, keep your lips off mine from now on.”

“Deal. Still want to surf?”

She hesitated. “Not today. I have a headache. See ya some other time.” And with that, she closed the door in my face and left me standing

on the curb. My phone buzzed, and I pulled it out. Her father, of course. The man had impeccable timing.

Things going well?

I tightened my grip on the phone and typed fast. I got it covered.

Good. Don’t forget the rules.

The ones I’d already broken?

As if I could.

AUTHOR LINKS:

 

Website: http://dianealberts.com/

Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/DianeAlberts6

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DianeAlberts

Goodreads:  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6921962.Jen_McLaughlin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment