Thursday, December 4, 2014

Hilary Storm: The Q & A

 


I had the honor of getting to ask this lovely lady a few questions. I was a fan before this, but know I am a HUGE fan. She is a very inspirational woman, an amazing and mom and wife. Much love and respect for Hilary Storm. More than just an #AwesomeAuthor,


RB: When did you get the urge to write and publish a book?

HS: Feb of 2013.... My 12 year old daughter came home from school after writing a story.  She had showed her friends and a few told her it was terrible and that she'd never be an author.  I told her we never let anyone tell us what we can and can't do... We MAKE IT HAPPEN... I set out to prove to her just that.  I had the intentions of learning how to self publish and sell just one copy.... Things went a little crazy from there.  To this day she writes.  She is now 14 and is hoping to finish her first novel within the year.  I was an accountant before this, so it was quite a change for all of us.  You can say through proving to her to live out her dreams... I found mine.

RB: What or who inspired you to write?

HS: See number 1

RB: When you begin a new book, does the character come first or the storyline? 

HS: My characters are alive way before the storylines.  I have probably 20 books to write and new stories that pop up out of nowhere often.

RB:  What would you say is the most difficult thing about writing, and how do you deal with it?

HS: Time management.  My family has to give up quite a bit during crunch time so that I can get a book out.  I’d love to deal with this... but I just can’t seem to master that. 

RB: How do you deal with writers block? 

HS: I take a hot shower and blast some music.... this almost always helps.... otherwise... I have a friend that I call and say... Meet me at the coffee shop... we need to talk.  She knows this means its time to outline some.  It has yet to remain the same as that outline, but she helps get my words flowing again.

RB:  In your writing process, do you just sit and type or do you outline your story? 

HS: I start with a rough outline knowing it will change.  They all have changed drastically.

RB: Have you learned anything about yourself during the writing process? 

HS: Absolutely.  I found myself during this process.  Before I was his wife or their mom, now I get to be me and they can be Hilary's husband or Hilary's kids for a change.  Of course... I'm always their mom first... but you get what I'm saying.

RB: Have you ever written a scene that you were surprised about? If so what scene?

HS:  Not really... I have a few coming that I'm excited to share... but I'm never really surprised.  There's so much more of me that is yet to come.... I can't wait to share!

RB: When picking your covers what do you look for? (by the way, you have some gorgeous covers) 

HS: Well thank you!  I take huge pride in my covers.  I've became known for them at this point and that's a huge pressure and honor.  I know they all have to be top notch or they won’t fit.  I look for the person.  Like I have a book that I've been sitting on for 9 months while I looked for the perfect model.... It was 3/4 done, but I just couldn't write it until I had him.... Scott King was who I was waiting for!  Personality is the number one characteristic that I search for.  Since Jacob Wilson has been with me for over a year now, these guys all have a big standard to live up to.  I don't settle ... ever.  He was the best decision I made going into this and now I expect the best at heart from my guys.  Of course it's a little easier now that I get a few of the guys coming to me to be featured on my covers.  I don't have to go in like I'm desperate anymore...lol   btw, that sucked back in the day!  I hate being dependent on others... Now if you don't find it an honor to be on my cover... I'll find someone who will.... And believe me there are plenty of them wanting in on it. 

RB: Have any of the relationships you have made in your journey surprised you? 

HS: ABSOLUTELY.... Jake and I for sure.  Who would've thought the first day we met, that we'd have such a bond and a future connected together.  It has been amazing and insanely hilarious!  Honestly... I don't think I could have done all of this with any other guy... It takes someone with great humor to work with me... I'm always bullshitting... He fit perfect because he's the exact same way.  It's just something that we do and it's been extremely entertaining along the way.    

RB: When you are in the “writing zone” do you have a routine? A fave drink, song or playlist, a snack? 

HS: I don't snack when I write... I used to do that and that was ridiculous!  I have to have my crush flavored water near me... but if I write late at night... coffee... It's bad I know.. but shit a girl needs to stay awake!  I listen to my spotify account every time I write... But I am famous for putting that on private because I will seriously listen to one song 50 times in a row if I was able to flow to it.  I seem to have to write each book in a new place.... its crazy... I get blocked if I try to repeat something of the past... so I'm always on the lookout for a new zone!  Right now I'm at my mother's house on her couch finishing up Don't Close Your Eyes which will release next Monday!

RB: Have you ever hit publish and thought… why didn’t I add that scene? 

HS: Oh yes.... but it's usually a week later... the night I hit publish I usually collapse and try to ignore the world.  The alternative is watching Amazon like a stalker waiting for the links to go live... I tend to go crazy doing that.

RB: What was your favorite book as a kid? What about today? 

HS: LOL I really hated reading as a kid..... I'm not lying in the slightest....  Fave book now... Ummmm I'd have to say the trilogy by CJ Roberts... Dark Duet... It was my first dark read and shit did those books stand out from anything else I had read.... My heart raced nearly the entire series.  I've never had to walk away from a book because I was so nervous or scared in all of my life.

RB:  If you could collaborate with one author dead or alive who would it be and why?

HS: I'm leaving this one blank... because I'm currently working with someone that is exactly who I want to be working with.... Actually there are two of them :)

RB: What is it like to travel to different places for author events? 

HS: Completely awesome!  I'm doing so much more than I ever could have as an accountant lol.... those bitches are boring!  It's so fun to see places and I can't wait to go to some of the places we have on the roster for 2015! 

RB: How does it feel to meet your fans? 

HS:  Surreal for sure!  I still can't believe that some get so emotional to meet simple old me.  It's great to know I've touched so many fans through my books or my presence on social media.  My fans are extremely important to me!

RB: How do you balance your time between motherhood and your career? 

HS: This is very hard... I have to be strict with both sides of it.  I'm not sure I'll ever have this perfected because it just seems like I get busier and busier with both of those as time goes on.  But I do know... my babies are my everything and that will always remain constant.

RB: Aside from writing what other interest do you have? 

HS: After I spend quality time with my kids and husband, I seriously don't have any other interests.  Truly... writing is my release, so why would I do anything else?

RB: Do you have any advice for new authors or for those that may want to write but are too scared? 

HS: Don't be scared.  You may never make it in the industry, but you might.  You may find a piece of yourself along the way as well.... Rewrite your first chapter after you finish your first book.  This is your first impression and it will be choppy as hell if it's the first thing you sit to write.  

RB: What would you like to tell your fans? 

HS: Thank you so much for making all of this a reality.  Without your support, I'd be nothing and I know this.  Be ready for some major badassness coming your way from this girl.  I have a few things up my sleeves for 2015 and 2016!  I can't wait to share with my fans along the way!


TEASER: 

PUBLISHED WORK:










CONNECT WITH HILARY:


I wanted to say THANK YOU so much Hilary for doing this with me. I appreciate your time. I wish you continued success and all that you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment