Sunday, January 18, 2015

Love It or Hate It, Fifty Shades of Grey: The Movie Is On The Way


Here we are less than a month away from the release of FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, the movie.  When I read the book I was actually going through a very bad time. I'm a mom of  a special needs son. His sleep disorder kept me up during the night and my grandma was in the hospital when I met Mr. Grey in March of 2012. I would read the book as she slept in her hospital bed. Never did I imagine a movie would be made.

When it was announced that this book would actually make it to the big screen, us the readers went wild. Who would play Christian? That was the big question. We all had our opinion on who would be the PERFECT Christian Grey. Then bam, we got hit with Jamie Dornan. Who?  what? Where did that choice come from? Who made this decision? Are we sure this is the right man for the job. Then we get hit with this trailer.



Mr. Grey (Mr. Dornan), you have our attention!!! Maybe you are the right man for the job.

I think we may all have our expectations of the movie, as fans that's only natural.Will the actors fit the image we as the reader have? Will things be the same as in the book? I'm going to say no. But, I think as a fan we may enjoy it. Heck, we are already building it up. We are buying our tickets to a movie that isn't out for another 3 weeks. We are making plans with our girlfriends, having t-shirt's made to wear. Wondering where we will go after we see the movie to discuss it. We are loving the hype and loving being a part of the Fifty Shades rage.

The books and now the movie have drawn criticism. The style of writing, the BDSM, the contract, the amount of money made from the trilogy. Regardless, the critics are out and are loving to bash the books, the readers and now the movie. Some people we know probably have their own opinion, I have learned that those that have yet to read the books seem to be the most vocal.

This weekend I saw the NEWSWEEK magazine at the checkout line, the cover caught my attention. The title did too.


I had to get it and read it. I wondered what it had to say. The articles are fun reads. One is focused on the cast, another on the BDSM lifestyle, another on the "toys" one woman talks about how she tried the Ben Wa Balls and she lost them and had to take a trip to her gyno. One article is focus solely on how women now feel more comfortable talking about sex. A once taboo topic has now become a topic of conversation that is able to be approached in public and not behind closed doors. We don't have to feel bad talking about what we have tried, what has worked for us, what we want to try with our partners. I think as women that is HUGE!! Our partners benefit because we are learning from each other.

One statement in the magazine caught my attention and I found it a bit insulting. This is what one "professional" had to say about Fifty Shades of Grey,

"A new study published in an August 2014 edition of the Journal of Women's Health found Fifty Shades of Grey readers more likely to have verbally abusive partners and exhibit signs of eating disorders than those who haven't read the books. Lead researcher of the study, Dr. Amy Bonomi, argues that the books "perpetuate dangerous abuse standards" and romanticize dangerous behavior."
-Newsweek, Special Edition (Fifty Shades; Exploring the Sexual Revolution

I found this statement a bit disturbing. I grew up in a home that was toxic, I know abuse first hand and let me tell you from my experience my mom would not be reading shit that reminded her of the hell she was living. To say that these books romanticize dangerous behavior makes me believe that the so called professional thinks we aren't intelligent and can't figure out right from wrong. Hello, some people enjoy rough sex. I find that as a reader we are constantly insulted for the genre we read and the books we enjoy. Really, so called professional, read the book before forming an opinion. Focus on the story. But, no, its easier to attack what seems taboo and ugly to the general population. More importantly the books are FICTION!!!! We read because we need an escape, we are busy women and need to unwind and what better way than with a book. But no, lets blow this up an highlight the "bad" so that we can insult those that read them.

Today, in the LA Times, in the Calendar section an opinion was written and in it the writer asks how the director of the movie was able "to make a poorly written, contrived and preposterous fantasy of a book ("Fifty Shades of Grey") into a hopefully successful film? He ends the article with "it's only the story line that attracted the millions of readers, but certainly not the brilliance of the author's prose; because, if it were truly creative and intelligent writing it wouldn't have attracted such a large audience." - 50 shades of bad writing; Los Angeles Times; Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015.

Again, with the bashing. Now we the fan don't appreciate good writing? We read books that are poorly written. Its okay, the critics can sit back and watch us go to the movies, and blow the books and movie up so much that it blows their minds.  So many wonderful authors have started to write and live out their dream because of Fifty. Many have published books and inspired others to do the same. But, no let's not talk about that. Heaven forbid we find a positive in all this.

As a reader I absolutely love my books. I am a sucker for a good story one that has me escaping the stress of every day life. I read because I love it, as many of you do. I have made many friends because of books. Have been introduced to many amazing authors and their awesome imagination.

I can't wait for this movie and I can't wait to discuss it with you all. I have a feeling we will be running to the movies a lot until we get our Mr. Grey fix. We are addicted to our book boyfriends and to see one on the big screen is huge!!!!!


See you all at the movies.




No comments:

Post a Comment