Thursday, September 18, 2014

BAYLI LANE - Q & A

\


I had the opportunity to pick this beautiful lady's brain for a little bit. I hope you enjoy our conversation. She is an amazing writer and has two books for us to enjoy.

RB: As a child what did you dream of being when you grew up?

BL: I wanted to be a country singer! haha! But after that, I wanted to be a teacher.

RB: What is your favorite childhood memory?

BL: Traveling with my parents to different karate tournaments around the US.

RB: What was your favorite book as a child?

BL: Green Eggs and Ham when I was very little. Later, I loved The Giver.

RB: What was the first thing you ever wrote, where you thought “I can make a career out of this”?

BL: Well, in college I would have a notebook open in class and instead of taking notes, I was writing stories. I have notebooks full of unfinished stories. But, it was writing Becoming More where I first felt like, “I can do this.” That’s also when I learned about self publishing.


RB: What is your favorite “CLASSIC NOVEL” and why?

BL: Not going to lie, I don’t read a lot of “Classic Novels” unless I was forced to in High School and College lol. But I really enjoyed Gilgamesh and Dante’s Inferno.

RB: If you could meet any author who would it be and what would you say?

BL: Well, one month ago I would’ve said, “Colleen Hoover!” But, I just met her in OKC for the first time and well, I had trouble speaking. So now I’d love to meet John Green. And I’d probably start crying and force him to hug me and apologize for breaking my heart.

RB: What or who influenced you to write Romance Novels?

BL: Colleen Hoover is my greatest inspiration. I also just love Romance Novels so I can’t imagine writing anything else.

RB: What is the biggest challenge you faced while writing your books?

BL: The ups and downs of emotion while writing. Every author goes through this- you’ll feel so excited about your book. You write like crazy and feel inspired. Then other days you feel like the worst writer on the planet and like no one is going to like your story. Then the next day comes and your back to loving your story again! LOL.

RB: What is the most natural thing about writing?

BL: Pouring out emotions onto a page. That feels so good.

RB: What is the most important thing, you have learned about yourself since starting the writing process?

BL: I’ve learned just how passionate I am about my writing… about making my books better than the one before them. All I want to do is to continue to grow and be better than I was yesterday.

RB: What reaction did you get from friends and family for writing the books? What is their reaction when they read your work?

BL: My friends and family were all very excited about it. They are all so proud me for following my dream. Some aren’t interested in the Romance genre (which is completely okay lol!) and others were ready to get their hands on my book right away. My friends that read it were really elated and sent me text after text while reading. That was pretty awesome. I don't really like talking about my books with family members (just because it’s kind of embarrassing… haha) but from what I hear, they’ve liked them too.

RB: How does your husband feel about your writing?

BL: I think I have the most supportive husband on the planet. He tells me all the time how talented he thinks I am. (Yes, he reads them). I wouldn’t have been able to do any of this with out him.

RB: As a woman of faith how do you explain your enjoyment of the genre you read and write?

BL: I honestly don’t see a problem with it at all. The Romance genre is based off of real life people. Yes, it’s fiction… but it’s relatable fiction. They are things that can and do happen in our lives. God loves me despite my flaws… But all people have flaws, including the characters in a story. It wouldn't be realistic to have absolute perfect characters in any kind of book.

RB: I have only read What If. That book blew me away. The ride you took us on was amazing. The journey of love is painful. Not always hearts and roses. Where did the inspiration for this story come from?

BL: Some of it is based off of people that I knew in High School and others that I knew in college. Some of the scenes really happened and I just built the story from there.

RB: Arrow and Briar were destined to be together. It was pretty much love at first sight. Do you believe in love at first sight?

BL: I do. I didn’t use to but I think you can meet someone and just know that they are it for you. RB: Describe how you felt when you actually saw your book complete and ready for the public? BL: I’ve cried both times. LOL. It’s a crazy feeling. I was excited and happy because I put so much of myself into those books. But then I was also nervous and scared because you never know how people are going to react to the story.

RB: How has life changed since you hit publish the first time?

BL: I’ve made the most unbelievable friendships. I’ve gotten to travel and meet readers. I’ve changed as a person, I have bigger goals now than I ever had in the past.

RB: Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to write a book but is too afraid to pursue their dream?

BL: It’s hard. It’s really hard. There are going to be times you want to give up. It’s expensive. It’s time consuming… But if it’s your passion, it’s absolutely worth it.

RB: Author events, what are those like?

BL: AMAZING! and some are pretty crazy too. You are surrounded by all these people that share the same love for books as you do. Sometimes you have other authors there that you’ve looked up to for years… If you’re lucky, you get to experience all of this with your friends… I’ve been lucky enough to do that. I’ve made memories that will last me a lifetime

RB: What would you say is your biggest accomplishment, professionally or personally?

BL: What If is my biggest accomplishment thus far. That book wrecked me emotionally but I loved writing it. I’ve loved receiving messages from readers that were affected by the story. Some of them relate because of the military aspect, others because they have someone from their past that they consider their “What If.” I love that.


RB: What are some of your hobbies?

BL: Reading. Oh and I like to refurbish old things.

RB: Animal advocate. Where did the love and passion to care for fur babies come from?

BL: I honestly have no clue. I’ve always loved animals. I can’t watch movies where an animal is hurt or killed. I can’t stand the idea of an animal not feeling loved. But besides that, I think all animals (wild and otherwise) are beautiful and innocent and deserve the best lives they can have. I don't know if my love stems from the fact that my dad use to take me to the zoo nearly every weekend or the fact that we always had pets growing up… But I just love them.

RB: What is your ultimate goal when it comes to your writing?

BL: I want my books to be in Target and I want to hit NYT Bestseller.

RB: Where do you see yourself in five years?

BL: Still living happily with my husband and fur babies… maybe a human baby… who knows lol and of course I’ll be writing. It’d be great if I reached one of my goals by then or both!

RB: What would you like to tell your fans?

BL: Thank you for giving me a chance. I know I’m still new in this writing world, so thank you for giving my books a chance and for being the supportive people that you are. Y’all mean the world to me.

Thank you Bayli for taking time to chat with me. You were so kind and sweet, I appreciate your time and look forward to your next book. I'm actually pretty excited for Housewife. Here's a little teaser...


No comments:

Post a Comment