Monday, September 15, 2014

Getting to Know Gia Riley



I have met some pretty amazing people in book world. Gia, is one of the authors that I have honestly personally connected with. We have not only clicked with book chatter but our personal lives have some what of a similar path. Due to that path we have bonded. I want you all to get to know my friend and amazing author Gia Riley.

RB: What motivated you to write and publish a book?

GR: I had the story in my head for a while and started writing it down little by little. Before long, I realized I had a novella. There was never an immediate thought about publishing or taking things to the next level. I was more concerned about getting the story right before I worried about any of that. When I finished, I was left with something I was proud of and for me, that was enough. After some encouragement by friends and family, I decided to give self-publishing a shot. It’s always been a dream of mine and I’m glad I had the courage to hit publish.

RB: How do you manage family and your passion?

GR: Family will always be my number one priority. I’m lucky enough to be able to make my own hours and write when it’s quiet. If an idea ever hits me when I’m not able to write it down, I just leave a memo on my phone so I don’t forget the thought. Technology makes it so much easier to keep track of everything while working around a busy schedule.

RB: At any point did you struggle with the story line of Between the Pain?

GR: I knew a novella was a risk, but my goal was to write a story that was complete while still packing a punch. I’ve never been one to focus on page numbers or length. To me, it’s about an experience.  In all honesty, I never saw book two coming. I thought I’d release the novella and then move on to something else. Thankfully, my beta readers are amazing and encouraged me to leave book one open ended to experience more of Hallie’s story.  It was the right call. As long as my readers are satisfied, I’m happy.

RB:  Was there something that motivated you to go with that story line?

GR:  I’ve had a couple ideas for books tumbling around in my mind. This particular story spoke to me the most at the time so I gave it the attention it deserved.

RB:  The growth we experience with Hallie and Sean in After the Pain is amazing. Was any part of that story personal?

GR: After the Pain is entirely fiction. I made people cry in Between the Pain so I wanted to use my natural sense of humor to create several laugh out loud moments.  Of course I still wanted to throw in the drama and create some angst. In the end, I intertwined two stories while having it come full circle in the end.

RB: How long did it take to write the books?

GR:Between the Pain I worked on for a year. It wasn’t something I did every day, but just for relaxation when I wanted to escape into my book world for a while. The more my family and friends encouraged me to publish, the more time I started putting into it. After letting a few people read the story, I decided to put myself out there.
After the Pain took about 4 months from start to finish. By the time Between the Pain was released, I already had a decent start on the story. It flowed quickly and before I knew it, I was typing “the end”. Of course it changed directions a few time as I was pulled in a new direction. It wasn’t THAT easy.


RB: During the writing process did you learn anything about yourself?

GR:  I’ve discovered I like writing dialogue the most. It’s so exciting to bring fictional characters to life. A good argument, moment of tension or misunderstanding can be intense. The other thing I learned is you can’t always make the ride easy. Weaving story lines within each other while trying to have fluid forward motion is a challenge I love. I also found it’s easier to write out of sequence. Some scenes come to me and I need to write them out before worrying about an earlier portion of the book or one later in the story. Filling in the gaps is half the fun.

RB:  Growing up did you have a favorite book?
I used to read nonstop when I was younger often devouring several books in a weekend. As a tween I remember going to the book store and loading up on R.L. Stine books. As a child, my favorite was Amelia Bedelia and this little gem called Eat Your Pea’s Louise. I would sign them out during library time every single week.

RB: Do you have a favorite book that was make into a movie?

GR: The Notebook and The Help. Both were excellent books and even more compelling on the big screen. One of my favorite quotes from The Help will stick with me forever. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” I bawled my eyes out during the entire scene. It was so powerful and touched my heart.

RB: What are you currently reading?

GR: I just finished publishing my second book, so I’m ready to jump back into reading a few of my fellow Indie author’s projects. I’ll be sure to check out Romance Bytes for some recommendations. I did just start Always In by M.R. Joseph. I loved the first book in The Shore Series. I’m looking forward to finding out what happens next!

RB: What are your feelings on Release Day?

GR: Release Day is a combination of excitement, fear, nervousness, and crazy energy. I’m excited to share my work with everyone yet anxious about putting myself out there. After the Pain was a lot more fun since I had readers who were patiently waiting to dive in. Hearing their feedback has been a blast.

RB:  Are you currently working on anything?

GR: Yes! I’m currently working on a New-Adult Romance that takes place in the south. I’m also tinkering around with the requests I’ve gotten for more Alex and Colby. I’m not sure if I’ll go that direction, but it’s always a possibility if the readers want more.

RB: What is the most difficult part about writing?

GR: See below, haha.

RB:  Reviews. What’s it like to have your baby read and reviewed?

GR: It’s the hardest part about writing. I’ll answer the above question along with this. Writing for me is therapeutic and calming. I love telling a story, but it’s opening your soul for others to judge that’s the toughest part. Authors spend so many hours on their work because they love what they do. Readers have very passionate opinions about things they love and things they don’t love. In the end, I just remember that I’m proud of my work. There will be critics and there will be fans. No matter what, my words are being heard. I can’t ask for more than that.

RB:  Have you learned anything about yourself based on the feedback of your fans?

GR: Definitely! I had a comment yesterday asking me about a personality trait in one of my characters. They wanted more of him and I was honestly surprised. While I made him a villain, I also wanted him to grow and learn from his mistakes. Even though he made some horrible decisions, he was still affecting people. The reader said “I love how you can find the good in everybody.” That comment really touched me.

RB: If you had the opportunity to meet an author who would it be and what would you say?

GR: I would love to meet Jodi Ellen Malpas and thank her for creating the This Man Series. Emily Giffin and Rachel Van Dyken would also be two picks in the romance genre.  Stephen E. Ambrose would be another choice. I’m obsessed with Band of Brothers which is a book as well as a mini-series documenting the lives of E-Company, the 101st Airborne division during WWII . The book was outstanding and Dr. Ambrose’s writing was so vivid. I’d love to sit down and talk with him about the first-hand accounts he had the honor of documenting as both a writer and historical consultant. 

RB:  Do you have a favorite “CLASSIC NOVEL”?

GR: I have two. My favorite would be a toss-up between Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Interestingly enough, both stories have aspiring female writers as characters. Family, sisterhood, love, and the pursuit of a dream tie the characters together in times of happiness and sorrow. They’re both timeless masterpieces.

RB: What does your family say about your writing?

GR: They are all so excited for me. The best is my mom giving copies to her friends. My dad even received an email at work the other day letting him know a co-worker bought “Gia” for his wife.  I absolutely love it!

RB:  Do you have any hobbies or favorite pass times?

GR: Besides writing and reading, I love music. I’m also an activist for Autism Speaks and Autism Delaware, causes close to my heart.  

RB: Your favorite book boyfriend?

GR: This is a tough one! I admit I fell pretty hard for Jesse Ward and Kellan Kyle. Every time someone says “mornin” I automatically picture Kellan sitting at the kitchen table drinking his coffee.

 Jesse was a complex creature, but had the right amount of fierce protectiveness mixed in with his passion. He kept me guessing and wanting more. The man loves hard! Knowing you can put all your faith, trust and love in a man who wants nothing more than to protect you is seriously sexy.





CHARACTER INTERVIEW



RB: Sean,  What did you think of Hallie when you first saw her? Also, what did you think of how she was imaging you to look like?

Absolutely adorable and gorgeous. She made scrubs looks sexy which sounds completely crazy, I know. I knew there was a smokin little body underneath the thin fabric and hell if I didn’t want to see it sooner rather than later. My girl is beautiful.
I was shocked she thought I was an old man with no game. She seriously had me rethinking how I write every single email. Do I always come across that way? I sure as hell hope not. (Hallie cuts in) Babe, no worries. You’re capable of getting me all worked up . You know, like when we sext in the middle of a long day. There’s nothing boring about that!
Good point. See, I’ve got game.

RB: Hallie, the healing through music is wonderful. What did you think of Colby when you first met him? I will admit I had to shoot boss lady, Gia a message and question who this character was.

Colby was the most carefree, crazy character I’ve ever met. From the moment we first spoke at Shorty’s, he was over the top and had no filter. You can’t help but be drawn to his personality. You’re probably wondering about the tattoo on his arm. During our rehearsal session I asked him for more details. Turns out he lost a bet with his cousin. He’s into the fantasy football leagues and whoever finishes first gets to pick the tattoo the last place finisher gets and its location. His cousin selected that particular beauty. I’m shocked Colby went through with it. I guess a bet is a bet though.

RB: Sean, your thoughts of Hallie and her ring pop speech? FYI, I will never see a ring pop the same way again, my imagination went somewhere naughty.

Hallie doesn’t have a sweet tooth, she has sweet TEETH. I was blown away that she was sharing her candy let alone the words that went along with the ring pop.
Your imagination was exactly where it should have been. Let’s just say I worshiped every single inch of her body with the candy. We don’t buy them by the single pop either, we buy in bulk on Amazon. The watermelon is just as much fun! (Hallie smacks Sean across the chest. He laughs at her). Sorry babe.

RB:Hallie,  was the “ring pop” previously planned or was it a last minute decision?

Well, the whole night was completely out of character for me. I mean, I’ve never met a random guy at a bar and gotten drunk.  I had plans to have a talk with Sean that night after I got home from open-mic night, but I didn’t intend to have it go down that way. I figured we would have a normal night on the couch, watching a movie with some cuddling and talking. I was ready for him to be my guy, but Colby had other ideas of derailing that plan.
After we were both lying in my bed, I knew it was now or never. He was doubting me and I needed to make things right. I wanted him to believe that every word out of my mouth was one hundred percent real. So, I figured with my serious candy obsession, I’d use it to my advantage. Like he said, I don’t usually share my sugar. Once he realized I wasn’t trying to get a condom out of the drawer, I was able to tell him exactly what I wanted for the two of us. The way he repaid me, well, my man satisfies.
(Sean cuts in) You’re allowed to talk about it but I can’t?
Would you rather I said you suck in bed?
No! I’m amazing between the sheets and you know it.
That’s what I just said!
Alright, then carry on.
Men!

RB:Sean, I have to ask. Have you earned your mile high wings yet?

Sadly, I haven’t. I still have high hopes that I’ll talk her into it someday. You only live once right? She’s doing a lot better with her fear of flying. It could happen. (Hallie’s shaking her head no)

RB: Hallie, I love Alex!!! I want a BFF like him. What are the benefits of having a man as a bestie?

Alex is amazing! I’m so glad we met in college. There’s no drama with him. Okay, let me rephrase that. There’s a lot of drama with him, but nothing catty and there’s no competition. Females can get out of control quickly. With him, it’s just easy. We go together like peanut butter and jelly. Two things that by themselves are tasty, but together, it’s an explosion of flavor.
(Sean laughs) I think you eat too many pbj’s.
You just wanted to say bj.

RB: Sean, you had me laughing the entire birthing process was a riot. Why were you jealous of Alex seeing Hallie’s goodies?

I know he’s gay and all but he’s still a man. I don’t want other men looking at her stuff. I mean I’d never check out Tanner’s stuff.
(Hallie’s cracking up) Sean, Tanner wouldn’t mind. He’s gay.
That’s not the point. It’s that Alex would mind, because the goods are for him, not me.
But you’re not gay. Just like Alex isn’t straight. So moot point.
(Sean throws his hands in the air) I give up. I don’t share.  End of story.

RB: Hallie, thoughts on the night that Sean revealed your new deck and lemon tree? That was one hell of a beautiful night. Heck I was crying.

Ohmigod. I was blown away. Looking back on that night, I just can’t believe everything that happened. I mean for him to think of all the little things that make me happy and then toss in a shocker of a gift. I was just excited I had a crock pot again! I wasn’t expecting anything beyond dinner.
It was so overwhelming I got dizzy and had to sit down. Then, I thought I peed my pants which led to a whole long ass night of craziness. It’s the most memorable day of my life. I’ll never top all of that and I’d never want to. Some things are just meant to be out of your hands. Fate played that one like a fiddle.

RB: Sean, how did you come about the idea of the whole deck, lemon tree and the BIG surprise for Hallie?

I knew how much her tree reminded her of home. Sun tea was always brewing on her porch, just like at her parent’s house. The swing at her place was hard for her to leave. We had so many memorable talks on the thing I just knew I wanted to carry on that tradition at our new home. I never wanted her to think of the house as mine, so I tried to add as many personal touches that included her as possible. Hell, I even went out and bought a new bed.  I just wanted her to know how much I love her. I always said I’d show her the world, but I’d always try to give her the world too.

RB: Hallie, are you still singing?

I don’t have as much time as I used to for singing, but I do go back to Shorty’s from time to time and let loose. Alex likes to sign me up without me knowing when we’re having a night out. I cut him off from picking the song after he made me sing Bieber.

RB: Sean, how does one confuse a tube of Desitin with a tube of lube? Dude, you had me dying!

I guess it’s the same principle as not combining your candy with your condoms. It was a heat of the moment type thing. I wanted to get my girl naked. Reaching in the drawer I just grabbed a tube, never taking my eyes off Hallie. I shoved it out the bedroom door and got back to the undressing. Unfortunately, it was one of the most horrifying mistakes I’ve ever made. I’ll never be able to forget the look on my mom’s face. She’s never asked for any since though!

RB: Hallie and Sean, anything you guys want to share with us about your future? Did Hallie go back to work?

Hallie: I do one weekend a month at the hospital and fill in when they are short-handed when I can. They’ve been great with wanting to keep me on staff yet allowing me to take care of what’s most important in my life.

We do have an announcement……….Alex and Tanner are engaged as of last night! 





In AFTER THE PAIN, we return to Hallie's story. In this installment we see a woman that is finding a way to heal, to cope with the situations that life has presented her with.

In her healing she sees that what she needs has been by her side the entire time. Sometimes, it just takes awhile to see things for what they really are. Hallie finally realizes that Sean is what she needs in her future. The way she comes to the conclusion is through acceptance and closure. We must be ready to move on and close one chapter before beginning a new one.

This book is the journey of Hallie and Sean. Their relationship finally gets a chance and it is the sweetest thing I have read in sometime. Their is a scene where a RING POP is presented and beautiful words exchanged and then the RING POP is used in ways you never thought.

Sean and Hallie have beautiful moments and of course a struggle. The dark part of their relationship is sad and you just hurt for Hallie. But her BFF Alex is by her side and he is forever making us laugh and smile. 

I got to see Sean in a different light and I fell in love with him. The romantic side to this man is BEAUTIFUL! He will surprise you and I kid you not you want your own Sean.

Gia wrapped up Hallie's story beautifully. We all get to read the Happily Ever After she deserved. A perfect end to an amazing love story. Lots of surprises in this book and again, it did not disappoint. I laughed a lot while I read and yes I shed a few happy tears.

Can't wait to see where Gia takes me next.

No comments:

Post a Comment