Saturday, October 25, 2014

Dawn Sullivan: Awesome Author ~ Q & A


I have come across many people in book world.  Some, are just so sweet and honest that one must get to know them better. Dawn caught my eye with the release of Phoenix's Fate. I was doing my random stalking on FB and saw her cover read the synopsis of her books and yeah I had to bring her into our closed group. She has been a huge supporter of many authors and is one sweet lady. I will spare you our little back and forth's on FB, I swear I just need to hug her.

Dawn, Thank You so much for  doing this.

RB: What made you decide to publish your first book and how long did it take to write?

DS: I had the pleasure of meeting and becoming good friends with an author in my town a few months ago.  She inspired me to not only write, but publish my first book.  Without her help and continued encouragement, I would not be where I am today.  Once I started writing Nico’s Heart, I couldn’t stop.  It took me less than two months to write and publish it.

RB: How did you decide that you would go with the paranormal angle?

DS: Paranormal Romance is my favorite genre to read.  I started reading it a couple of years ago and read pretty much anything I can get my hands on in that genre.  I don’t know that I chose to write the paranormal angle so much as it chose me.  Once your characters start talking, you have to listen.  And my characters told me they were badass shifters.

RB: You have some pretty awesome covers. How do you go about picking who will be on them and designing them?

DS: I found Kari Ayasha (Cover to Cover Designs) through Facebook.  I researched several designers, and chose Kari.  Kari’s covers just pop out at you.   I found Shauna Kruse (Kruse Images & Photography) through a mutual friend that invited me to like her model page.  I had been searching stock pictures for days to see what I liked and coming up empty.  Every picture I liked had already been used by another author and I didn’t want that.  One day Shauna’s picture of Tj showed up in my newsfeed and I knew he was my Phoenix.  After that, Shauna worked with me to find the perfect Nico and I have found several more of my characters in her models.  I have chosen a model for almost every book cover in my RARE series, plus another series I am working on from Shauna’s page.  Shauna and Kari are both awesome to work with.  They take the time to talk to me and help me figure out exactly what I want.  And they are both very talented.  

RB: What has been the most challenging part of writing a book and getting it published?

DS: Sometimes it is hard to keep the characters talking.  They start off with a bang, then just decide they are done for a while.  At least mine do.  I hate that.  And the actual publishing part can be difficult.  Formatting is somewhat tedious and making sure everything is done the way it needs to can become stressful.


RB: When you are writing how do you balance being a wife and mom with being an author?

DS: My family will always come first.  I love to write, but my husband and children are my life.  I work full time and then I spend time with my kids when they get home from school.  Life can be hectic with homework, football practice, etc, but I wouldn’t change it for anything.  I write at night. Normally after the kids are in bed is when my characters and I find time to talk.  Hopefully someday I will be able to write full time, but until then, this is my crazy life and I love it!

RB: What is the most rewarding part about being an author?

DS: I love being able to share my stories with everyone and hear the feedback from them.  I encourage everyone to message me and talk about my books.  When someone tells me they love my characters, it makes my day!

RB: Writers block? Do you ever get it and how do you overcome it?

DS: Yes, I do!  And it is not fun!  You just have to take a few days off until the characters start talking again.  With Phoenix’s Fate I had to take about two weeks off, then one night Phoenix woke me up at midnight because he wanted to talk and I had to listen.  I was up writing and after that his book was done in no time.

RB: When writing, do you listen to music or have a playlist? If so who would we find on that playlist?

DS: I actually do not listen to music when I write.  I know several authors do, but I don’t like any distractions when I am writing.  And if I had music on, I would probably tune it out anyway.

RB: What does your family think of your writing, or do you keep that hush?

DS: My family is very proud of me.  I could not ask for a more supportive husband.  My mother tells everyone she knows that I write and she loves my books.  I am very blessed to have the wonderful family I have.

RB: Seeing your name on the cover of a book what is that like?

DS: Publishing a book is one of the best feelings in the world, but also the scariest.  Authors put their heart and soul into a book, and when they go to share that book with the world, it is like giving a part of themselves to everyone.  I pray everyone will love my characters and my books as much as I do, and am so happy to share them.  And seeing my name on that cover-best scariest feeling ever!


RB: What did you want to be when you grew up? (wait do you consider yourself grown up?)

DS: I used to want to be a teacher when I grew up, but now I want to be a full time author.  I will make my dream a reality some day!

RB: What was your favorite book growing up?

DS: I devoured anything with horses when I was younger, then it turned to romance.  I can’t say I had a favorite book.  I would read anything and everything I could get my hands on.

RB: If you could meet any author, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you say?

DS: J. R. Ward and I would probably be too tongue tied to say anything!  But I would like to think I would have an intelligent conversation about her Blackdagger Brotherhood books.  In truth, I would probably gush and squeal and sound like a teenager.

RB: What are you reading now?

DS: I just finished Dangerous Surrender by Katie Reus.  It’s her fourth book in The Serafina Sin City Series.  Loved the book, love the series and love anything by Katie.  She spins a great suspense tale.


RB: Best way to spend family time?

DS: Our favorite thing to do as a family is movie night.  We normally get pizza and eat dinner in the living room while watching a movie.  The kids love it and so do I!

RB: How do you spend your down time, when you finally get a few minutes?

DS: Sometimes you have to take that time for yourself.  I love to curl up on the couch and read, sometimes with a glass of wine or a Corona.  I also love to watch NCIS and Haven.  I am new to Haven. I found it on Netflix and am getting ready to start Season 3 when I make the time.

RB: The RARE series. How many books will be in the series?

DS: Right now I have 8 books planned for my RARE series, but there are a couple of other characters wanting to take part in the action.  When is a series too long, though?  I will have to see what happens when I have the 8 done that are planned.

RB: Would you venture away from the paranormal genre?

DS: Most definitely!  I would and I have!  I have a romantic suspense series I have started and am hoping to have the first book out at the beginning of next year.  I have also started on another series and am hoping to have the first book in that series out this year along with Trace’s Temptation.

RB: What advise do you have for up and coming authors or for fans that would like to try writing?

DS: Don’t give up.  If it is your dream to become an author, do whatever it takes to become one, whether you have a publisher or self-publish like I do.  Always follow your dreams, because if you try hard enough, they will come true.

RB: What would you like to tell your fans?

DS: I would like to thank them all for their continued support and let them know that I care about and appreciate all of them.  Without them I wouldn’t be where I am today.  And I am loving where I am! Thank you so much!

PUBLISHED WORK



No comments:

Post a Comment