Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Q & A with Culine Ramsden - Author




I must say that Culine is an amazing person to work with. Even with our time zones being different we have managed to pull this Spotlight off without a problem.  She is one truly inspirational lady, she gave us an insight on who she is. Honored to have met such a wonderful lady from South Africa, how cool is that?

Culine, THANK YOU so much for gracing us with your awesomeness.

Who is Culine Ramsden?

I met my Prince Charming when I was 19, oh and he was only 17. I might have look all innocent and soft but inside I was strong willed and determent. At age 19 I moved from the small town to the big city to be with the love of my life and have not looked back. We got married when I was 23 and now have 3 amazing kids. My son Cameron is 15 but a whole head taller than his mom and two beautiful girls aged 7 Cassy-Ann and 8 Caitlin Leigh. 

About 8 years ago I stopped working for a boss and became my own. I am a cake designer, my company is called Illusions Cakes and Cupcakes. I am very passionate about the work I do. I love seeing the smiles on little kids faces when they see their birthday cakes. 

About a year ago I read FSOG and that was it for me. From there I could not get enough of reading. 3 to 4 books a week. I was as if for those few hours and between those pages I could forget about the troubles of the world. Well half way through the year I met Danielle Jamie Author. What an amazing person. I sent her a friend request and she accepted we spoke often. I loved her books and became a beta reader for her. I felt so honored. Well she is the one of the reasons I decided to become an Indie Author. The other reason you can read in the book. Even today if I need advice or just need someone I know I can ask her and she would assist. She is an amazing person. Well I had this idea for a book, but had no idea where to start. One day, I saw this picture and that was me, I knew what I wanted and what I needed to do.



This is the very first picture I saw of Jeremy Mooney. I had no idea who he was or how to get a hold of him but I knew that he would be playing the lead role in my book Define Me, after a week of research I finally found him. I took a chance and sent him a message and asked if he would be interested in being my cover model and he said yes. So now I had to proper research, I think that I probably have every single photo of him that is available to the public saved on my iPad. I have listened to all his videos; I needed to know how he talked. I took me 6 months to finish my book, it was hard. I am Afrikaans not English, I have Dyslexia. So I need to trust people to fix my spelling and my grammar. It was a hard bumpy road. 

The book has a deeper meaning for me. Abuse, so often young girls don't see what is right in front of them, they believe if they love that person enough they would change but in reality it is not that simple. The title Define Me, yes the people around us can define the outcome of us, but at the end of the day it is only really you that can truly Define the person that you become. A wonderful person I just met the other day said it so perfectly. The good and the bad that happen to us is needed for us to become the person we are right now. Learn from it and know that it was meant to be. You might not see it right now but one day it will all make sense. 









RB: Where did you meet your Prince Charming?

CR: When I met Glenn he was not so much Prince Charming, but rather Bad Boy mysterious type. We met on a Beach Volleyball court at college. He saved me, some other idiot tried to pick me up but he came and saved the day. For me it was love at first sight. Back then he was gym crazy and had a body to die for, pretty much what my cover models look like. He was only 17 and I was 19. We have been together for 20 years now.

RB: When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up? What were your dreams?

CR: I wanted to become a CSI, but the ones that work in the labs.

RB: What were your thoughts of Fifty Shades as you read it?

CR: When I read it the first time. "Did people reaaaaaaaaaaaly do things like that, mmmmh that is hot" 2nd time round, I loved the story, I wanted my very own CG. The shadows and broken soul, my type of man. I remember once I was at the dentist, 2 ladies were talking about the books they read. The one said "Did you read that FSOG, I could not get into the book. (there was disgust in her voice). I had to get up and walk out, before I told her what I thought.

RB: Do you have a favorite scene in the trilogy?

CR: Favorite scene, sex one was the first time, but the one that sticks in my head is wen Anna told Christian she was pregnant

RB: Aside from FSOG do you have another series you like?

CR: The Corps Security Series by Harper Sloan, The Savannah Series by Danielle Jamie, This Man Series, Blackstone Series love Ethan Blackstone.

RB: What was the biggest challenge you faced while writing your book?

CR: The sex scenes, I wanted it perfect and realistic. There were days that I just could not focus and my ADD got the better of me, I had to have set times to write otherwise I would not meet my deadlines.

RB: How do you manage family, work and your passion of writing?

CR: I have an amazing husband we are a team and he wants me to succeed. He helped me where he could. I did my writing when the kids were at school and late at night when they were a sleep. But there were times when a thought came to me I could not help but write. Close to the end my kids would say "THE BOOK AGAIN, WHEN WILL YOU EVER BE DONE WITH IT"

RB: How difficult was the publishing process?

CR: Self publishing is easy enough. But I had help, great Author friends, Danielle Jamie, CP Smith and Wendy Jay that were so helpful with their advice. The part that was hard for me was the editing. Having dyslexia and English being my second language it was a part that I needed to focus on the most. I unfortunately, trusted the wrong person to do my editing the first time around. When I received my first 1 star review my world crumbled. I pulled the book off amazon right away, I found a new editor and it took me a month to fix it. Now I have a book that I know is right and something I can be proud of. But I believe that because I pulled it I damaged the sales of my book. Being in South Africa it is a little harder to get to the right people. I would love to do these big author event that you guys have, but in SA we do have that.

RB: Did you learn anything about yourself during the writing process?

CR: Yes, that no matter what obstacles are put in your way, if you set your mind to it you can overcome anything. The good and the bad it all needs to happen to us for us to become the person we are.

RB: What advice do you have for up and coming Indie authors?

CR: Believe in yourself, write with your heart. The right editing and the most important part is your cover, go with custom covers, there is nothing worse than seeing the people of your cover on another novel. It is a little more expensive but it is worth it.

RB: When Jeremy agreed to be your model what was that feeling like?

CR: I did my happy dance, I could not believe that this amazing sexy man would agree to be on my cover. Here I am a brand new author, from South Africa.

RB: Your next book. Who are you using as the cover model?

CR :Shadows in Me will be coming out early 2015. Well, signed with a oh so sexy South African this time. His name is Jacques Fagan. I didn't know SA had men like that. I met with him 2 weeks ago. What an amazing guy, I cant believe I can be so lucky to have 2 cover models that are not just sexy but really good guys. The Cover, mmmmmh it is going to be a surprise. but what I can say is love triangle

RB: Seeing your book complete and seeing your name on the cover. Share what you thought and felt?

CR: My name on the cover, I think it really hit me when I went to the printer to go pick up my A1 Poster of my book cover for my release party. I started crying in the shop, I could not believe that it was true, I did this I was able to write and publish a book. Growing up I was always teased for my spelling and here I wrote a book. Little old me.

RB: How has life changed since becoming a published author?

CR:  Not much has changed since becoming an author accept for the that I am always on FB and blog trying to promote my book. Oh and the best part is that I am always on the look out for new faces for covers

RB:  Where did the story line for Define Me come from and why the topic of abuse?

CR: Story line, little here a little there, Some my own some pure fiction. Abuse. I have so many woman close to me that was affected by it. I saw how devastating it was for them and how helpless they thought they were.

RB: Growing up did you have a favorite book or story? If so what was it?

CR: Growing up I didn't really read!!

RB: If you could meet any author past or present, who would it be and what would you say?

CR: Too many to just pick one

RB: Are you currently reading, if so what book and who is you latest book boyfriend?

CR: Last book I read was Bender by Stacy Borel same week it was Locke from Harper Sloan. I love Locke, so need to say he is my latest book boyfriend. But I am waiting for the latest Crossfire by Sylvia Day to come out.

RB: For those of us that have never visited South Africa, how would you describe it?

CR: Our country is beautiful, sunshine and amazing countryside. Our oceans are clear and blue. There are the bad point like all countries, crime is him in Johannesburg where I stay, so we live behind 6 foot walls with electric fences.

RB: If we ever made out way to that part of the world, what MUST we see?

CR: When you come to SA the best place to go is Cape Town, it is an amazing part of our country, the crime is less and there is so much to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment